Anyone who understands search engine optimization (SEO) will also know a thing or two about link building. Well if you do not then here’s a short intro on the same. There are two forms of SEO; one being onsite SEO which is optimizing your own website for the search engines and second being offsite SEO which is basically getting backlinks for your website.
So the first question to ask yourself is do you need backlinks in the first place; well the straight forward answer to this is – Yes. Google will of course never reveal how they rank website but we know for sure that backlinks play a huge role in Google ranking websites.
This has been shown in studies by Ahrefs, SEMRush, Neilpatel.com , Backlinko.com and a bunch of other big names that are among the most popular SEO tools. Google wants to rank authority website and you can consider each backlink as an up vote for your website. Therefore, the more backlinks you have the more votes you have for your website. This ultimately gives Google the info that your website has authority and should be placed higher in Google searches.
Most people owning a website need to do SEO so that their website is visible in search engines. But visibility is possible only when your site reaches the first page of Google and other major search engines for important keyword terms. For that to happen you need to perform link building.
Let us have a look at 5 of the best link building techniques in 2020.
- Local Citation Links: Citation links are also known as local business listings. These links are hugely important as local business listing sites allow business owners to list their business on such sites. Here you can add everything from your business name; business contact details and also get a link to your website for free. Most of the top citation sites are free and then there are some niche listing sites that are paid too. Steer clear of low quality sites as they offer no link value and remember that quality is way better than quantity.
According to me Google My Business listing is today the most important business listing for your website.
- Foundation Links: Like the term says ‘Foundation’, these are links that build the foundation of your site. Foundation links are social media profiles for your business on sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. Additional your Google My Business listing is a big foundation link.
- Broken Link Building: This one has been one of the best link building techniques for a long time now. Broken link building is the process of finding relevant websites that are linking out to dead pages, notifying them and offering your link to replace the dead one. You will have to reach out to website or blog owner and tell them about the broken links on their site. You need to tell the about a great article on the same topic on your site and how it would add value to your readers. Plus you also need to tell them that broken links are not good for their site J.
- Guest Blog Posting: This form of link building is definitely one of the highest forms of link building techniques and is followed by even the biggest corporations around the world. The best way to conduct this is through a manual outreach campaign.
No matter what people say about guest posting, the fact is that when you have in-content links coming in from niche relevant quality blogs your rankings are bound to improve. All you need to do is use a search like SEO blogs ‘write for us.
Once you have identified the blogs you want to pitch to just write them an email with the subject like ‘I’d love to write for your SEO blog’. You might want to ask them for a topic that they think their readers may want to read about. Send them your article with a link to your site and they should be happy to publish the same.
- Video Links: Video links are mostly used to create a natural backlink profile for your site. Creating whiteboard animation video costs as low as $5 and you can find 100s of sellers on sites like Fiverr.com. While most of these will be “no follow” links, I love building links on video sharing sites. There are many video content and video sharing sites that you can find. Once your video is ready you can also share them on your social media accounts.
There are many other ways of link building that you can find when you search for link building techniques. Methods like article submissions, press release submissions, profile links, blog commenting, infographic posting are some of the other methods that are used widely.
This article is penned by Mohit Jain who is the founder/owner for WhiteLinksSEO.com. WhiteLinksSEO offers white hat seo services for small business owners. We major in link building for clients in Australia, US, Canada and the UK. Mohit has 10 years of experience in the SEO industry and has helped 10s and 10s of website rank on page 1 of Google organically. When free he loves playing squash and watching movies too.