On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, find out how to upgrade to iOS or iPadOS. your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can wirelessly install the most recent version of iOS or iPadOS.
If you’re using iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later, you may be given the choice between two software update versions. You have the choice to update as soon as iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 is released, or you can stay on iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 and continue to get important security updates for a time.
If you can’t see the update on your device, manually update it using your computer. Learn how to manually update your device if you use a Windows PC, a Mac with macOS Mojave or an earlier version, or a Mac with macOS Catalina or later.
Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch wirelessly
- Utilize iCloud or your computer to back up your smartphone.
- To access the internet, connect your device to a Wi-Fi network and a power supply.
- Once you’ve navigated to Settings > General, choose Software Update.
- If there are two software updates available, choose the one you want to install.
- Choosing “Install Now.” As an alternative, if you see Download and Install, click it to download the update, then, after entering your passcode, press Install Now. Learn what steps to take if you forget your passcode.
You might learn that your device has the most recent software and that an upgrade is available. Even if your device is running the most recent version of iOS 14, for example, it could be feasible to upgrade to iOS 15. You might wish to upgrade iOS if you attach an accessory to your iPhone.
If a Warning Appears While Wirelessly Updating
Learn what to do if an alert message appears while you are attempting to wirelessly update your device.
All software upgrades may not be accessible over wireless. Due to VPN or proxy connections, your device might be unable to connect to the update servers.
If you need more space for wireless updates
If a message asks you to uninstall apps temporarily because the program needs more space for the update,
choose Continue. Once installation is complete, these programs are automatically reinstalled. You can manually delete files from your smartphone to free up space rather than clicking Cancel.
Own the automated updates
Your device can update itself while it charges throughout the course of the night.
- Go to Settings > General to get to Software Update.
- Tap Automatic Updates to enable Download iOS Updates.
- You must have Install iOS Updates turned on. Your device will immediately install the newest version of iOS or iPadOS. Some updates might need to be installed manually.
You may obtain the newest features, security updates, and bug fixes by updating to the most recent version of iOS or iPadOS. Not every device, country, or region supports all capabilities. The performance of the battery and system may be affected by a variety of factors, such as network conditions and individual usage; actual results may vary.