As a year has passed, Discord has received numerous changes that have positioned it as a mainstream communication tool, rather than one catering exclusively to gamers. The company’s Clubhouse-like Stage Channels on Discord are a prime illustration of this principle in action. If you and your friends are among the growing number of Discord users, you may be wondering how to organise a Netflix viewing party within the chat service. We’ll show you how to use Discord to watch Netflix without experiencing any audio or video difficulties.
See Netflix on Discord
A question that’s bound to come up is how to watch Netflix using the Discord mobile app. To start off, let me say this. Due to DRM restrictions, the Discord mobile apps (iOS and Android) are unable to play Netflix streams. On the other hand, Discord’s mobile app makes it simple to broadcast your screen to other users. Plus, if a Netflix binge isn’t your thing, you can always organise a Spotify playlist listening session in a Discord channel. This is how to use Discord to watch Netflix with your buddies.
Obtain the Discord App
First, you’ll need to get the Discord app if, like me, you’ve been using the web client. The app is available for free on the company’s main website. After installing the app, users can log in using either their Discord username and password or by scanning a QR code.
Second, turn off hardware acceleration: Discord: How to Repair the Black Screen When Watching Netflix Now, a blank screen is one of the most prevalent complaints from Discord users who have tried to watch Netflix. How do I fix the black screen when streaming on Discord? How do I fix the black screen when streaming Netflix? No worries, we’ve got you covered.
If you’re using Discord to watch Netflix and you’re getting a blank screen, try disabling hardware acceleration in your browser. We’ve provided instructions for turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, three of the most widely used browsers. Here are the instructions, however keep in mind that they may vary depending on whatever browser you use. If you’re using a browser not listed here, you can disable hardware acceleration by searching for it in the app’s settings.
You can no longer manually toggle hardware acceleration in Safari for Mac as of macOS Catalina, therefore this workaround is not applicable. Netflix streaming fails on Safari for Mac, resulting in a blank screen.
Chrome’s Hardware Acceleration Settings Can Be Disabled
- To access Chrome’s settings, launch the browser and select “Settings” from the three vertical dots menu located in the upper right corner.
- Secondly, locate the “System” tab in the “Advanced” options sidebar on the left, and turn off the switch labelled “Use hardware acceleration when available.” Once you’ve turned off the switch, Chrome will need to be restarted.
Turn off Microsoft Edge’s hardware acceleration
- To access Edge’s configuration options, launch the programme and select “Settings” from the menu that appears when you click the three dots in the top right.
- Secondly, disable hardware acceleration by going to the “System” tab on the left sidebar and toggling off the “Use hardware acceleration when available” switch. After that, if you want to watch Netflix while using Discord without seeing a black screen, you’ll need to restart your browser.
How to Turn Off Hardware Acceleration in Firefox
- To access Firefox’s preferences, open the menu by clicking the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner.
- 2. Go to the “General” menu and look for the “Performance” subheading. An option to “Use suggested performance parameters” is available for your selection. It’s checked by default, and if you uncheck it, you’ll see a checkbox to disable hardware acceleration. Also, make sure the option to “use hardware acceleration when available” is unchecked.
Start Netflix and Install Discord
- With hardware acceleration turned off, you’re ready to share Netflix with your Discord group. To get going, just do as I say:
- In order to watch a movie or TV show on Netflix, you should: 1) launch the service and 2) leave your preferred programme running in the background. When you’re ready, close the tab and launch Discord.
- Second, find your username in the Discord app’s bottom left corner and select the “Settings” option there.
- Click the “Not finding your game?” link in the left sidebar of the Settings page, then click the “Add it!” option there.
- The number four now displays a list of currently active background programmes. Select the tab in which you’ve installed Netflix, and then click “Add Game.”