The WhatsApp chat migration tool, which lets Android users copy their chat history to an iPhone, has finally been released. This comes roughly a year after WhatsApp debuted a similar capability to migrate messages from iOS devices to Android phones in a limited beta test.
However, there are still several prerequisites that must be met before an Android user may make the switch to an iPhone. More importantly, users must strictly adhere to WhatsApp’s own lesson.
The Importance of This Feature
WhatsApp is a popular messaging program that works on both iOS and Android. It supports cutting-edge chatting tools like iMessage and provides end-to-end encryption for messages and phone calls. Even better, it’s cross-platform, so those with iPhones and Androids can text and chat with one other using the same robust instant messaging system.
One of the most requested improvements for WhatsApp is the ability to transfer their chat history to a new device. Upgrading from one Android device to another is as simple as doing the same with an iPhone. The most difficult part was switching over to a new chat service from a different platform. Particularly, when Facebook (now Meta) allowed chats to be transferred from iPhone to Android, there was still a problem with transferring chats from Android to iPhone using WhatsApp.
On Thursday, WhatsApp announced that its chat conversion tool is now available to all Android users making the switch to iPhone.
How to move the WhatsApp chat history from Android to iPhone
Here are the steps you need to perform to transfer your WhatsApp account in full from Android to iPhone:
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.